At Coatesville Missionary Baptist Church, our purpose is to glorify God by conducting a self-supporting independent local church in accordance with the Word of God: seeking to win the lost to Christ; assembling for prayer, spiritual fellowship, and worship; preaching and teaching the whole counsel of God; administering the ordinances; maintaining a testimony of godliness and good works in the community; carrying on a worldwide missionary program; standing for the Biblical faith; exercising Biblical discipline; instituting, operating, and maintaining associated ministries for evangelism, education, discipleship, spiritual growth, and any other ministry the church deems necessary.
A brief summary of our core beliefs
The following summarizes our core beliefs. For further details regarding our beliefs along with Bible references to back them up, click on the indicated link or scroll past this summary:
Many of the Bible verses provided on the various links in this “Detail” section are excerpted ONLY for brevity’s sake. We are not attempting to take away from God’s Words says within each reference indicated, but only to provide you with sufficient Scripture to back up our beliefs. We encourage the reader to get a Bible and read the complete text of the verses indicated to judge for yourself what God’s Word has to say on the various topics covered.
1. that the Holy Bible is the God-inspired Holy Word of God, who inspired holy men to write as they were moved by His Spirit. God’s Word is without error and is our absolute and final authority for faith and practice. His Word has been preserved for us through the ages. We generally encourage the use of the King James Version of the Bible, but strongly oppose the “KJV-only” position.
2. in the one and only, almighty, all-knowing, all-present, Triune God, who, though being One, is manifested in three distinct personalities: God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit. All three are fully God with individual and distinct functions. God the Son, Jesus Christ, willingly limited & humbled Himself when he became man, born of a virgin, living among us to die for our sins. God the Holy Spirit indwells the believer, convicting of sin. We oppose the charismatic movement, and do not believe that the New Testament gift of tongues exists today, but, along with certain other temporary sign gifts, has ceased.
3. that Creation is the work of God Himself, whereby He created from nothing all that exists. God created the entire universe in six literal, 24-hour days, and rested on the seventh day. The truth of Creation is foundational to our understanding of all that exists.
4. that Satan himself is also a created being who fell from his perfect, created state because of his desire to be like God. He is the author of sin, the enemy of God, and the accuser of all Believers.
5. that having been created perfect by God, Mankind Fell Into Sin, through the temptation of Adam and Eve by Satan in the Garden of Eden. Since that time, all mankind are born into sin and incapable of a right relationship with God or any hope of an eternal home in Heaven without following God’s plan of salvation.
6. that God designed and ordained Civil Government consisting of three basic institutions. Every person is subject to these authorities, but all are answerable to God and governed by His Word. We must obey these authorities unless they require us to act contrary to God’s Word.
7. that Salvation from our sins is God’s work of grace through faith alone, plus nothing. We can’t obtain salvation through any work, practice, or effort of our own. It is God’s gift to us, obtained through belief in the finished work of our Savior, Jesus Christ, on the Cross. True salvation brings repentance and confession of our sins as we believe and receive Christ.
8. that once saved, Christian Growth is expected and obtained through obedience to God’s Word as evidenced by regular and faithful study of His Word, church attendance, and a separated lifestyle that seeks to please and glorify God in all that we do.
9. that The Church exists universally as the body of all believers in Jesus Christ, but as an organization, the Church is an autonomous, local assembly of baptized believers, voluntarily associated for the purposes of conducting and supporting the local church ministry.
11. that God has established two official Church Officers, or positions of leadership within the Church: the Pastor and Deacons. The qualifications for each of these officers are clearly defined in God’s Word. For the purpose of structure, other church offices are established as part of the leadership team of our church.
12. that once Saved, the believer is to practice Separation from the world and worldly living but instead strive to live a Christlike life in the power of the Holy Spirit. Believers must also separate from disobedient brothers or sisters in Christ.
13. that God has reveled certain Future Events to us through His Word. The next major event on God’s prophetic calendar is the pre-tribulational, premillennial return of Christ to rapture His church, an event which can occur at any moment. The tribulation is a literal, seven-year period of time when God’s wrath will be poured out on men, followed by the 1000 year reign of Christ.
14. that God has determined that all men have an Eternal State and will spend eternity in one of two places: Heaven or Hell. Heaven is a place of eternal bliss in the presences of God Himself. Hell is eternal separation from God in a place of eternal torment, reserved for all who reject Christ in this life, as well as Satan and his fellow fallen angels.
15. that God ordained that marriage be only between one man and one woman, for life, and that any sexual relationship outside of that one-man/one-woman relationship is sinful, evil, and an abomination to God Himself. Human Sexuality is only properly fulfilled in this marriage relationship, designed as a gift from God for mankind’s pleasure, oneness, and procreation. God has clearly defined the structure and various roles with Family Relationships in marriage. It’s within these Family Relationships that we learn true Love, as we learn of God’s love for us and the proper way for us to love another.
17. that it isn’t God’s will that any should perish, but that all men be saved. He has ordained that the Gospel be spread by His people telling others and bringing them to Christ. The Missions program of the local church is God’s way to spread the Gospel locally and around the World, and He’s commanded all believers to be involved in this process.
Detail of our Beliefs with Scripture References:
Note : Many of the Bible verses provided on the various links in this “Detail” section are excerpted ONLY for brevity’s sake. We are not attempting to take away from God’s Words says within each reference indicated, but only to provide you with sufficient Scripture to back up our beliefs. We encourage the reader to get a Bible and read the complete text of the verses indicated to judge for yourself what God’s Word has to say on the various topics covered.
The Holy Bible:
The True, Triune God:
- God the Father: We believe that God the Father is father only to those who receive Jesus Christ as Savior (John 17:1-9John 17:1-9: (1) These words spake Jesus, and lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said, Father, glorify your Son, (2) As You have given Him power over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. (3) And this is life eternal, that they might know You the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent. (4) I have glorified You on the earth: I have finished the work which You gave Me to do. (6) I have manifested Your name unto the men which You gave me out of the world: (7) Now they have known that all things whatsoever You have given Me are of You. (8) For I have given unto them the Words which You gave me; (9) I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which You have given Me; for they are Yours.); that He is spirit (John 4:24John 4:24: God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.); that He is perfect in holiness, infinite in wisdom, and measureless in power (Leviticus 11:44Leviticus 11:44: For I am the LORD your God: you shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and you shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall you defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.; Psalm 147:4Psalm 147:4: He tells the number of the stars; He calls them all by their names.); that He concerns Himself in the affairs of men (1 Timothy 2:3-61 Timothy 2:3-6: (3) For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; (4) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.); that He hears and answers prayer (Psalm 65:2Psalm 65:2: O You that hears prayer, unto You shall all flesh come.); and that He is the object of our worship and praise (Exodus 20:3-6Exodus 20:3-6: (3) You shall have no other gods before Me. (4) You shall not make unto you any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: (5) You shall not bow down yourself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; (6) And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love Me, and keep My commandments.).
- God the Son: We believe in the absolute Deity of Jesus Christ (1 John 5:201 John 5:20: And we know that the Son of God is come, and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him that is true, and we are in Him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.; John 1:18John 1:18: No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him.); His eternal existence as God (Hebrews 1:8Hebrews 1:8: But unto the Son He says, Your throne, O God, is forever and ever: a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.); His incarnation (becoming flesh) by means of the virgin birth (Matthew 1:18-25Matthew 1:18-25: (18) Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with Child of the Holy Spirit. (20) But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, fear not to take unto you Mary your wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. (21) And she shall bring forth a son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins. (24) Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: (25) And knew her not until she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called His name JESUS.); His sinlessness (1 Peter 2:21-241 Peter 2:21-24: (21) For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: (22) Who did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth: (23) Who, when He was reviled, reviled not again; when He suffered, He threatened not; but committed Himself to Him that judges righteously: (24) Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by Whose stripes you were healed.); His substitutionary atonement for the sins of mankind by the shedding of His blood on the cross (Hebrews 9:12-14Hebrews 9:12-14: (12) Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by His own blood He entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. (13) For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies to the purifying of the flesh: (14) How much more shall the blood of Christ, Who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?); His death, burial, bodily resurrection, and ascension (1 Corinthians 15:3-51 Corinthians 15:3-5: (3) For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; (4) And that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures: (5) And that He was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:); His present high-priestly ministry in heaven (1 John 2:1,21 John 2:1,2: (1) My little children, these things write I unto you, that you sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: (2) And He is the propitiation [atonement] for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.); and His personal, visible return to earth (1 Thessalonians 4:16-181 Thessalonians 4:16-18: (16) For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: (17) Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (18) Wherefore comfort one another with these words.; Acts 1:11Acts 1:11: Which also said, You men of Galilee, why stand you gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as you have seen Him go into heaven.).
- God the Holy Spirit: We believe that the Holy Spirit is divine in His person, equal to and of the same nature as the Father and the Son (Matthew 28:19Matthew 28:19: Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.); that He convinces the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:7-15John 16:7-15: (7) Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you. (8) And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (13) Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will show you things to come. (14) He shall glorify Me: for He shall receive of Mine, and shall show it unto you.); that He is the agent of the New Birth (John 3:5-7John 3:5-7: (5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (6) That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (7) Marvel not that I said unto you, You must be born again.); that He baptizes all true believers into the body of Christ, indwelling, filling, sanctifying, sealing, and securing them unto the day of the redemption of the body (2 Corinthians 1:21,222 Corinthians 1:21,22: (21) Now he which establishes us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; (22) Who has also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.); and that the evidence of His filling is a changed life characterized by practical spiritual graces (Galatians 5:22,23Galatians 5:22,23: (22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, (23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.). We do not believe that the New Testament gift of tongues exists today, but, along with certain other temporary sign gifts, has ceased (1 Corinthians 13:8-101 Corinthians 13:8-10: (8) Love never fails: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (9) For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. (10) But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.).
The Devil or Satan:
The Fall of Mankind:
We believe that there are two Christian ordinances and that they are symbolic, not sacramental: Baptism and the Lord’s Table.
- Baptism: We believe that Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water after his salvation profession, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:18-20Matthew 28:18-20: (18) And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth. (19) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit: (20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.); that it sets forth in picture the essential facts in redemption: the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ; that it gives testimony to that which has taken place in the life of the believer: death to sin and resurrection to walk in newness of life (Romans 6:3,4Romans 6:3,4: (3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death? (4) Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.); and that it is an act of obedience to Christ and a prerequisite to local church membership (Acts 2:41Acts 2:41: Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.).
- The Lord’s Supper (Communion): We believe that the observance of the Lord’s Supper is a commemoration of the Lord’s death to be observed until He comes; that the elements: the unleavened bread and the unfermented juice: are symbols of His broken body and shed blood (Matthew 26:26-29Matthew 26:26-29: (26) And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is My body. (27) And He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; (28) For this is My blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (29) But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.); that our observance of it is a pictorial testimony of the believer’s fellowship with the crucified Savior (1 Corinthians 10:16-211 Corinthians 10:16-21: (16) The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? (21) Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils.); and that the observance should be preceded by solemn heart searching and self-judgment (1 Corinthians 11:23-301 Corinthians 11:23-30: (23) For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which He was betrayed took bread: (24) And when He had given thanks, He brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is My body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of Me. (25) After the same manner also He took the cup, when He had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in My blood: this do you, as oft as you drink it, in remembrance of Me. (26) For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup, you do show the Lord’s death till He come. (28) But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.).
Church Officers/Team Members:
The Eternal State:
- We believe that the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman as God has created them uniquely to be one flesh (Genesis 2:24Genesis 2:24: Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.; Romans 7:2Romans 7:2: For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he lives; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.; 1 Corinthians 7:101 Corinthians 7:10: And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:; Matthew 19:4-6Matthew 19:4-6: (4) And He answered and said unto them, Have you not read, that He which made them at the beginning made them male and female, (5) And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? (6) Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.).
- We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of marriage between a man and woman. We believe that any form of homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality, bestiality, incest, fornication, adultery, and pornography are sinful perversions of God’s gift of sex. We believe that God disapproves of and forbids any attempt to alter one’s gender by surgery or appearance. (Genesis 2:24Genesis 2:24: Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.; Genesis 18:20,21Genesis 18:20,21: (20) And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; (21) I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto Me; and if not, I will know.; Genesis 19:5-13Genesis 19:5-13: (5) And they [the men of Sodom] called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them [sexually]. (6) And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him, (7) And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly. (13) For we [God’s messengers] will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it.; Leviticus 18:1-30Leviticus 18:1-30: (6) None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the LORD. (7) The nakedness of your father, or of your mother, shall you not uncover: (9) The nakedness of your sister . . . you shall not uncover. (10) The nakedness of your son’s daughter, or of your daughter’s daughter . . . you shall not uncover: (12) You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father’s sister: (13) You shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother’s sister: (14) You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father’s brother: she is your aunt. (15) You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter in law: (16) You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother’s wife: (17) neither shall you take her son’s daughter, or her daughter’s daughter, to uncover her nakedness; it is wickedness. (20) Moreover you shall not lie carnally with your neighbor’s wife. (22) You shall not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. (23) Neither shall you lie with any beast to defile yourself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion. (30) Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs . . . I am the LORD your God.; Romans 1:26-32Romans 1:26-32: (26) For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: (27) And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. (29) Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, (30) inventors of evil things, (31) Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, (32) Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.; 1 Corinthians 6:9,101 Corinthians 6:9,10: (9) Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (10) Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-71 Thessalonians 4:3-7: (3) For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that you should abstain from fornication: (4) That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honor; (5) Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God: (6) That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified. (7) For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.; Hebrews 13:4Hebrews 13:4: Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.). The Scriptures also prohibit obscene behavior (Ephesians 5:3,4Ephesians 5:3,4: (3) But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becomes saints; (4) Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.), pornography (Matthew 5:28Matthew 5:28: But I say unto you, That whosoever looks on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.; Mark 7:21-23Mark 7:21-23: (21) For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, (22) Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: (23) All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.; Galatians 5:19-21Galatians 5:19-21: (19) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, (20) Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, (21) Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.; 1 Thessalonians 4:4,51 Thessalonians 4:4,5: (4) That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honor; (5) Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:), prostitution (Proverbs 5:1-23Proverbs 5:1-23: (3) For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil: (4) But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword. (8) Remove your way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house: (9) Lest you give your honor unto others, (11) And you mourn at the last, when your flesh and your body are consumed, (15) Drink waters out of your own cistern, and running waters out of your own well. (18) Let your fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of your youth. (21) For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and He ponders all his goings.; 1 Corinthians 6:181 Corinthians 6:18: Flee fornication. Every sin that a man does is without the body; but he that commits fornication sins against his own body.), and transvestitism (Deuteronomy 22:5Deuteronomy 22:5: The woman shall not wear that which pertains unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.).
- Because of the divine command to end such practices, persons engaged in immoral activities shall not be members of this church (1 Corinthians 5:1-51 Corinthians 5:1-5: (1) It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father’s wife. (5) To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.; 1 Corinthians 6:9,101 Corinthians 6:9,10: (9) Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (10) Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.).
- Though God has purposefully made men and women physically/genetically different, we believe that men and women are spiritually equal in position before God; but, that God has ordained distinct and separate spiritual functions for men and women in the home and the church. A husband is to be the leader of the home, and men are to be the leaders (pastors and deacons) of the church. Accordingly, only men are eligible for licensure and/or ordination by the church (Galatians 3:28Galatians 3:28: There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for you are all one in Christ Jesus.; Colossians 3:18Colossians 3:18: Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.; 1 Timothy 2:8-131 Timothy 2:8-13: (8) I will therefore that men pray everywhere, without wrath and doubting. (9) In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; (10) But with good works. (11) Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. (12) But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man. (13) For Adam was first formed, then Eve.; 1 Timothy 3:2-121 Timothy 3:2-12: (2) A bishop [pastor] then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach; (4) One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (5) (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) (12) Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.).
- We believe that God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. The husband is to love his wife as Christ loves the church. The wife is to submit herself to the Scriptural leadership of her husband as the church submits to the headship of Christ. Children are a heritage from the Lord. Parents are responsible for teaching their children spiritual and moral values through consistent lifestyle example and appropriate discipline, including scriptural, corporal correction. (Genesis 1:26-28Genesis 1:26-28: (26) And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth. (27) So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them. (28) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.; Exodus 20:12Exodus 20:12: Honor your father and your mother: that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God gives you.; Deuteronomy 6:6-9Deuteronomy 6:6-9: (6) And these words, which I command you this day, shall be in your heart: (7) And you shall teach them diligently unto your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up. (8) And you shall bind them for a sign upon your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. (9) And you shall write them upon the posts of your house, and on your gates.; Psalm 127:3-5Psalm 127:3-5: (3) Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is His reward. (4) As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. (5) Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.; Proverbs 19:18Proverbs 19:18: Chasten your son while there is hope, and let not your soul spare for his crying.; Proverbs 22:15Proverbs 22:15: Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.; Proverbs 23:13,14Proverbs 23:13,14: (13) Withhold not correction from the child: for if you beat [punish] him with the rod, he shall not die. (14) Thou shall beat [punish] him with the rod, and shall deliver his soul from hell.; Mark 10:6-12Mark 10:6-12: (6) But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. (7) For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; (8) And they twain shall be one flesh. (9) What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (11) And He said unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, commits adultery against her. (12) And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she commits adultery.; 1 Corinthians 7:1-161 Corinthians 7:1-16: (2) to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. (3) Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. (4) The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. (9) But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. (10) Let not the wife depart from her husband: (11) But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. (15) But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases.; Ephesians 5:21-33Ephesians 5:21-33: (21) Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. (22) Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. (24) Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it; (28) So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. (29) For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourishes and cherishes it, even as the Lord the church: (31) For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. (32) This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. (33) and the wife see that she reverence her husband.; Ephesians 6:1-4Ephesians 6:1-4: (1) Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. (2) Honor your father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) (3) That it may be well with you, and you may live long on the earth. (4) And, you fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.; Colossians 3:18-21Colossians 3:18-21: (18) Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. (19) Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. (20) Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. (21) Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.; Hebrews 13:4Hebrews 13:4: Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.; 1 Peter 3:1-71 Peter 3:1-7: (1) Likewise, you wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the Word, they also may without the Word be won by the conversation of the wives; (2) While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. (7) Likewise, you husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.).
- We believe that marriage, according to the Scripture, is between one man and one woman (Genesis 2:24Genesis 2:24: Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.; Matthew 19:5-6Matthew 19:5-6: (5) And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? (6) Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.; Mark 10:8Mark 10:8: And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.; Ephesians 5:31Ephesians 5:31: For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.; Romans 1:26-27Romans 1:26-27: (26) For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: (27) And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.; 1 Corinthians 6:91 Corinthians 6:9: Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind.) Furthermore, in keeping with this belief that marriage is between one man and one woman, no member or employee of Coatesville Missionary Baptist Church shall preside over or participate in any marriage, union or other joining of any persons contrary to this statement of faith, nor shall any property belonging to Coatesville Missionary Baptist Church be used for any marriage, union, joining, celebration, honoring, or support in contradiction to this belief.
- We believe that we should demonstrate love for others, not only toward fellow believers, but also toward those who are not believers, those who oppose us, and those who engage in sinful actions. We are to deal with those who oppose us graciously, gently, patiently, and humbly. God forbids the stirring up of strife, the taking of revenge, or the threat or use of violence as a means of resolving personal conflict or obtaining personal justice. Although God commands us to abhor sinful actions, we are to love and pray for any person who engages in such sinful actions. (Leviticus 19:18Leviticus 19:18: You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.; Matthew 5:44-48Matthew 5:44-48: (44) But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (45) for He makes His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. (46) For if you love them which love you, what reward have you? do not even the publicans the same? (47) And if you salute your brethren only, what do you more than others? do not even the publicans so?; Luke 6:31Luke 6:31: And as you would that men should do to you, do you also to them likewise.; John 13:34-35John 13:34-35: (34) A new commandment I give unto you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. (35) By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.; Romans 12:9-21Romans 12:9-21: (9) Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. (10) Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another (17) Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. (18) If it be possible, live peaceably with all men. (19) Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, says the Lord. (20) Therefore if your enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing you shall heap coals of fire on his head.; Romans 13:8-10Romans 13:8-10: (8) Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loves another hath fulfilled the law. (9) For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, You shall not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, You shall love thy neighbor as thyself. (10) Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.; Philippians 2:2-4Philippians 2:2-4: (2) Fulfill you my joy, that you be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. (3) Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. (4) Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.; 2 Timothy 2:24-262 Timothy 2:24-26: (24) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, (25) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; (26) And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.; Titus 3:2Titus 3:2: To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, showing all meekness unto all men.; 1 John 3:17-181 John 3:17-18: (17) But whoso hath this world’s good, and sees his brother have need, and shuts up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwells the love of God in him? (18) My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.).
- Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of the church (Matthew 7:12Matthew 7:12: Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.; Matthew 22:37-40Matthew 22:37-40: (37) Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. (38) This is the first and great commandment. (39) And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. (40) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.; Luke 10:30-37Luke 10:30-37: (30) And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. (31) And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and he passed by on the other side. (32) And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, passed by on the other side. (33) But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, (34) And went to him, and bound up his wounds, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. (35) And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever you spend more, when I come again, I will repay you. (36) Which now of these three, thinketh you, was neighbor unto him that fell among the thieves? (37) And he said, He that showed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do you likewise.; Romans 12:18Romans 12:18: If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.; 1 Peter 2:171 Peter 2:17: Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.).
- Members are expected to demonstrate special loyalty and concern for one another (1 Corinthians 13:71 Corinthians 13:7: [Love] Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.; Proverbs 19:11Proverbs 19:11: The discretion of a man defers his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression.). Dealing with offenses between believers is to be handled Biblically according to the guidelines set forth in Scripture. Dealing with a member who has fallen into sin must also be handled Biblically. (Deuteronomy 19:15Deuteronomy 19:15: One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sins: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.; Matthew 18:15-17Matthew 18:15-17: (15) Moreover if your brother shall trespass against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone: if he shall hear you, you have gained your brother. (16) But if he will not hear you, then take with you one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. (17) And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto you as an heathen man and a publican.; 1 Corinthians 5:11-131 Corinthians 5:11-13: (11) But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. (12) For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not you judge them that are within? (13) But them that are without God judges. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.; 2 Thessalonians 3:13-152 Thessalonians 3:13-15: (13) But you, brethren, be not weary in well doing. (14) And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. (15) Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.).